Monday, March 2, 2015

DOLLS

EXCERPT FROM MY LIFE STORY - ...When I was little I had a FAVORITE doll, Mrs. Beasley - from the television show ‘Family Affair’ (1960s). I literally wore her out. The first time she had to be repaired we took her to some sisters in our neighborhood, which were also seamstresses; they lived in an underground home, which was small and dark. They had to remove her voice box that was operated by a pull string but they stitched her back together. The second time she had to be repaired we took her back to the seamstresses and they told us there was nothing they could do. I had the doll for about 5 years. On the 30th Anniversary of the doll being made; my family got me a replica doll for Christmas. I was in my 30’s and was so touched that they would remember and realize how much she meant to me as a little girl. I have even requested to be buried with her.